Purpose of the post
The Legal Adviser will play an active role in promoting International Humanitarian Law at various levels in academics, judiciary, policy makers and other relevant actors in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. He/She will also be responsible for defining and implementing the ICRC`s strategy for promotion of IHL at Sub Delegation and to strengthen networking with relevant stakeholders to create a conducive environment for its promotion. He/She will have to organize and conduct sessions, trainings and other seminars on IHL and present and disseminate the Law for a variety of audiences. He/she will be responsible for Annual planning and budget elaboration.
• Implements the strategy of the sub-delegation for the promotion of International Humanitarian Law in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
• Continues and further expands the dialogue with academics, judiciary and policy makers of KP for promotion of IHL.
• In line with the strategy of the sub-delegation, organizes different trainings, certificate courses, seminars and other events on IHL for selected audiences in academic circles, judicial circles, policy makers and Islamic circles.
• Provide advice to delegates at senior management and working level on how the ICRC and/or its partners can best assist the authorities at various levels in their efforts to implement/disseminate International Humanitarian Law.
• Keeps himself/herself abreast of the knowledge of International Humanitarian Law. Delivers presentation(s) on various International Humanitarian Law related topics for a variety of audiences.
• He/she must have excellent networking skills to expand dialogue with relevant stakeholders.
• He/she must have good knowledge of relevant/national legal questions/issues, as well as regionally and internationally.
• He/she must be enthusiastic about representing ICRC at various forums.
• He/she must have excellence in English language with the ability to communicate in Urdu and Pashto.
• Participates in Annual Planning and budget elaboration.
• Prepare thematic papers, and analysis of policies, legislation, national, regional and international trends and other topics on humanitarian relevance.
• Generally to perform other duties and task not covered in this job description as well as to provide support to other departments when necessary.
• University degree in law (LLB and preferably LLM).
• Minimum 4 years of experience in a similar function.
• Good understanding and knowledge of political, legal and social environment in Khyber Pakhtunkwa including tribal districts.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Very good analytical and writing skills.
WHAT WE OFFER:
• Multinational and multicultural working environment in a congenial setting.
• Competitive package.
• Extensive opportunities for learning and development through internal and external sources.